[D28_community] An Outstanding Year

Todd Brockdorf tmb at comcast.net
Sat Jul 21 09:54:28 EDT 2007

Hello Toastmasters,

By now, you may have seen the year-end report for the
Distinguished District program posted to the Toastmasters
International website (toastmasters.org/dpr). Unfortunately,
District 28 did not earn Distinguished status for the fourth year
in a row. We were just five member payments short of our goal.

However, all is not lost. I am extremely proud of the District
Executive Committee and the Leadership Team. If you looked at the
numbers back in February, it would have seemed like it would have
been impossible to get even this close to goal. We made up
substantial ground in member payments during the final two months
of the year. At the end of April, we were 474 member payments
short of goal. At the end of May, we were behind 277 member
payments. At the end of June, we ended only 5 member payments
short of goal. We added 469 member payments in two months! THAT’S
INCREDIBLE! Everyone one who helped in this effort should take
pride. Thank you to all of the clubs that added members during
these last two months of the year.

Among some of the other highlights of this year:

-           Added 7 new clubs to the district, rising to the 100
active clubs mark for the first time in history and surpassing
our goal by 3 clubs.
-           181 members earned a Competent Communicator Award,
surpassing our goal by 46.
-           74 members earned an Advanced Communicator Award,
exceeding goal by 36.
-           99 members acheived either a Leadership award or DTM,
thereby earning the District the maximum number of points in this
category, exceeding last year's numbers.
-           18 out of 23 Areas achieve Distinguished or better status
(78%) compared to 16 Distinguished Areas a year ago.
-           5 out of 7 Divisions achieve Select Distinguished or
better status (71%)
-           47 clubs achieved Distinguished status or better (50%),
compared to 46 a year ago.
-           Improved speech contest quality by creating the position
of District Chief Judge and held judges training at all major
District events.
-           Held a joint event with National Speakers Association of
Michigan.
-           Created the position of Corporate Club Hunter, designed
to improve our marketing efforts to companies within our
District.
-           Overwhelming response to the District Open House Contest.

There is absolutely nothing of which to be ashamed. We had an
outstanding year and I am proud of everyone who assisted in this
effort. We did it ethically, honestly, and with integrity. The
groundwork we laid this year will bear additional fruit next year
and for years to come.

For Speaking and Leadership Excellence,

Todd
--