[D28_community] Club Officer Training Dates!

Karen Holland kholland at umd.umich.edu
Wed May 17 16:03:55 EDT 2006

Hello Toastmasters!

April showers are supposed to bring May flowers.  It's May.  My flowers
are blooming.  But it's still raining!  What else does May bring?  For
Toastmasters, it brings CLUB OFFICER ELECTIONS!  I trust that your club
has held, or will shortly be holding, club officer elections.  As soon
as your club's elections are held, please submit the list of incoming
officers to TI via the Club Business section of the web site
(www.toastmasters.org), or by mail.

Quiz time:

    *Q:  What is one of the first duties of an incoming club officer?
    *Is it:

    A.  Learn the secret handshake
    B.  Arrange to attend Club Officer Training
    C.  Get coffee for everybody
    D.  Tap dance in the Quad while wearing a toga

The correct answer is (B) "Arrange to attend Club Officer Training."
Why?  That leads to the next item on today's quiz:

    *Q:  Why should I attend club officer training?*

    A.      Because it's part of my job as a club officer
    B.      Because I will learn about being a club officer, running
    contests, and upcoming District and International events
    C.      Because there will be food, including EGGS
    D.      Because Karen is asking very nicely
    E.       All of the above

 The answer is:  E, "All of the above!"  Please plan to attend _one_ of
the following Club Officer Training sessions, scheduled for:

    *  *Saturday, June 10, 2006, at Owens Community College (Toledo
      campus)* in the Audio/Visual Building.  A map and driving
      directions may be found at:
      https://www.owens.edu/about_owens/maps.html
    * *Saturday, July 8, 2006, at the University of Michigan-Dearborn*
      in the Social Sciences Building (same as in the past).  A map and
      driving directions may be found at:
      http://www.umd.umich.edu/maps_directions/

For both sessions, the Registration Desk opens at 8:00 AM, the program
begins at 9:00 AM, and we'll wrap up by 1:00 PM.  Please arrive on time
and please stay for the entire program. It will be well worth it.

 FYI:

   1. We will have a fully-stocked District Bookstore at each event.
   2. You will have a chance to register for the Fall District
      Conference at a discount, so bring your checkbook. (IOUs and
      checks written on backs of envelopes will NOT be accepted!)
   3.  ALL club officers are expected to attend training, but
      non-officers are welcome as well.
   4.  Even if you've been an officer before, and attended training in
      the past, PLEASE attend again.  There's always more to learn!
      Besides, more experienced officers can be a valuable "font of
      information" for the newer ones.
   5. In addition to the specialized training for each club officer
      role, general sessions will include valuable information that all
      club members need to know, including: membership building and
      retention, club speech contests (running one, judging, and being a
      contestant), help for struggling clubs, and much, much more!

 Hope to see you there!

Karen Holland, DTM
Lt. Governor of Marketing and LGET-Elect
District 28 - Stretch for Success
Toastmasters International
W - 313-593-5330,  H - 313-274-2384
Kholland at umd.umich.edu