[D28_community] Facebook Groups and Pages

Cleo Parker cparker at twmi.rr.com
Wed Jul 27 10:33:54 EDT 2011

Hi!

Several of the people who have contacted me have set up Facebook Groups
rather than pages. There are some differences between the two, but generally
speaking I would recommend a Page over a Group.   Another thing to be aware
of is that Facebook is in the process of upgrading their Groups and your
content will be archived in the next few months unless you upgrade to the
new Group Format, so if you want to keep the group, Upgrade Now!

Pages must be created by an official member of the organization that the
Page is representing, there is no limit on the number of people who can like
it and it is open to all

Groups can be created by anyone, affiliated with the organization or not.
New members have to be approved by the group administrator and there is a
limit to what you can do as a group grows in size (the threshold is so high
this isn't likely to affect TM clubs)

Here's an online article that goes into depth about the differences, you can
also put Pages vs. Groups into Facebook Help to get a shorter explanation.
http://www.allfacebook.com/facebook-groups-pages-2010-02

If you're starting from scratch, my recommendation again is a Page, not a
group.

I'll like or join anyone's TM Facebook presence that asks. Hope to see you
there soon!

Cleo

Cleo Parker
cparker at twmi.rr.com