[D28_community] Important Reminders: Club Officer Training, Submitting Applications

Karen Holland kholland at umd.umich.edu
Wed May 30 12:56:05 EDT 2007

Hello, fellow Toastmasters! I hope that you all had a wonderful and safe
weekend! It's time to refocus our attention to important upcoming
Toastmasters matters.

*Club Officer Training:*

This is a reminder that all Club and District officers should plan to
attend one of the following Club Officer Training sessions, scheduled for:

    * Saturday, June 16, 2007, at the University of Michigan-Dearborn in
      the Social Sciences Building. A map and driving directions are at:
      http://www.umd.umich.edu/maps_directions/

    * Saturday, June 23, 2007, at Owens Community College (Toledo
      campus) in the Audio/Visual Building. A map and driving directions
      are at: https://www.owens.edu/about_owens/maps.html

For both sessions, the Registration Desk opens at 8:00 AM, the program
begins at 8:30 AM, and we’ll wrap up about 12:30 PM. Please arrive on
time and please stay for the entire program. It will be well worth it.
Also, it’s FREE! Being properly trained is important for your
development as a leader. Not attending is a disservice both to yourself
and your club members.

*Submit Those Applications ASAP!*

There's roughly one month left in this Toastmasters year, which
concludes on June 30, 2007. Please make sure that your club has
submitted the required paperwork to TI, including the Club Officer List
for newly elected officers, and dues for continuing members that might
not have been submitted in April. If your club has not already done so,
hold an Open House to attract new members, and submit those new member
applications asap.

NOTE: PLEASE, even if your club is over 20 members, PLEASE don't hold
onto applications until July. The District receives its funding from TI
based on dues payments, and member payments this year are below
projections. Fewer paying members means lower funding, which affects our
ability to provide high quality services to our members. Also, the
District is trying to achieve Distinguished District status for the
fourth year in a row, and the biggest challenge is in the area of
membership. We REALLY need your help!

Encourage your members to achieve their individual goals:

    * give the speeches necessary to complete their Competent
      Communication and advanced speech manuals
    * volunteer for meeting roles and receive feedback on their
      performance through the Competent Leader manual
    * wrap up High Performance Leadership Projects
    * submit the paperwork from successful Club Sponsor, Mentor, and
      Club Coach assignments

Please make sure to celebrate these achievements, to submit the
paperwork necessary for official recognition by TI, and to encourage
your members to keep setting new Toastmasters goals. (There's always
more to learn within the Toastmasters program!)

Many clubs have achieved Distinguished Club status or better. If yours
is one of them, congratulations! Many others are really close, and with
a little effort, can achieve it! Those who believe that Distinguished
Club status is out or reach this year, don't despair. Everything you do
to grow your club, to improve the quality of your meetings, makes your
Toastmasters club a better place for your members to learn and grow.

Thank you!

Karen Holland
District 28
Lt. Governor of Education & Training